The 1819 Red Brick Inn is a country getaway close to all the action of the Finger Lakes. We are located in between Seneca and Keuka Lakes.
 
Our Baby
Welcome
Rooms & Rates
Check Availability
Guest Info
Area Attractions
Calendar Of Events
Photo Gallery & Comments
History
Contact Us
 
 

 

   

History

This residence also has a close connection to the Lost Resort of Crystal Valley, a series of grand hotels and spas that were famous throughout the East from 1866 to 1900. A mineral spring was discovered which was thought to have healing properties. Benson H. Smith, who owned the home in 1867, became a partner in the Crystal Spring Hotel. People would come to the hotel and adjoining spa to relax and rejuvenate. We believe that the same atmosphere that appealed to patrons in the mid-1800's is carried over to the Red Brick Inn today.

On the corner where Route 230 intersects with Crystal Springs Road, the Red Brick Inn stands like a sentinel guarding the now vacant grounds of Crystal Springs and the mineral spring that has been flowing for over 130 years.

This old brick house boasts a history even longer than that of Crystal Springs ' the property on which it stands has passed through the hands of more than seventeen owners.

The property was homesteaded in 1806 by Thomas Bronson. Mr. Bronson carried the mail once a week by horseback from Eddytown (now known as Lakemont) to Wayne, along a wild, rough road (Route 230) that ran past his property. Bronson then sold the property to Elisha Booth, whose son, Cyrus, was to establish the first newspaper in Dundee.

Farmer and millwright John Spicer later bought the property and is believed to have built the Federal Style brick house around 1819. The bricks were made with native clay and fired in a kiln on site. The interior walls are 18 inches thick. The building is listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places, as the Spicer-Millard House. According to the researchers, the building is considered one of the finest examples of Federal Style Architecture in Yates County.

In 1908, Henry A. Tuttle bought the old brick Millard Homestead and later married Ann V. Millard, who became a joint owner in 1928. There are four generations of Millards who have held title to the red brick house.

In 1953, drastic changes were made in the historic brick house. When Joseph and Josephine Jakubowicz moved in, they blocked up and covered the house's eight Rumford fireplaces, removed the pillars between the living rooms, remodeled the kitchen, and painted the house in bright colors.

Almost thirty years later in 1982, Ray Spencer at the age of 26 years old, bought the house, recognized its historical value and restored it as near as possible to its original graciousness. The house had been abandoned for 5-6 years prior to his purchase and had been stripped of all of its original light fixtures, claw foot tubs, moldings and mantels. The house sat on approximately 50-60 acres which Ray had to sell most of the land in order to be able to afford the renovations inside the home. We now sit on 8 acres of beautiful country side. Ray chiseled and restored seven out of eight Rumford fireplaces (one fireplace is still covered in our pantry). Two of the fireplaces are working today, the rest are for display only. The original front entrance was also reconstructed. Thus returned to some of its natural beauty, the red brick house became known as the 'Red Brick Inn', a tasteful 'bed and breakfast' and local landmark in 1984.

Ray Spencer owned and operated The 1819 Red Brick Inn, A Bed and Breakfast for about 10 years and sold it to a young couple from Rochester, NY. The Peacock‚Äôs took over in 1997 and ran the bed and breakfast for 5-6 years. They in turn sold it to Rob Greenslade from Queens, NY in June 2002. Rob, Kim, and Tristan are the present owners of this lovely bed and breakfast and welcome you to stay in their charming home.